Oral Cancer Warning Signs You Need To Pay Attention To
Call Us About Oral Cancer Screenings Today
- A quick exam can assess mouth abnormalities
- Determine whether sores, patches, bumps, and other symptoms are of serious concern
- Treat any problems early on
- Receive specialist referrals, if needed
- Significantly increase your chances of survival by acting quickly.
It may surprise you to learn that over 56,000 North Americans are diagnosed with oral cancer each year, and that almost 11,000 of those people will die from the disease. The best preventive measure you can take is to be proactive about your care, have any symptoms assessed early on, and to seek out treatment immediately.
The term “oral cancer” refers to cancer of the soft tissues of the cheek, tongue, soft palate, tonsils, lips, pharynx, and salivary glands.
The most common symptoms of this type of cancer include:
- lumps or bumps in the mouth/on the gums
- red or white mouth patches
- numbness or bleeding in the mouth or neck
- sores that don’t go away after two weeks
- stiffness when chewing, swallowing, or moving the jaw
- ear pain
- an ongoing cough
- breathing issues
- voice changes (usually more hoarse)
- changes in the way teeth fit together.
As is the case with every health concern, mouth changes should not be ignored. If you’ve developed symptoms that are out of the ordinary, call us for an immediate oral health assessment. We’ll check all areas of your mouth and ensure that you receive the care and attention you need!
Oral cancer facts:
- twice as prevalent in men
- 62 is the average age of diagnosis
- about 25% of cases happen in people under age 55
- when diagnosed early, 5-year survival rate is 84%
- if oral cancer has metastasized, the 5-year survival rate is 39%
We conduct oral cancer screenings
At Select Dental Group, conducting oral cancer checks is an important part of our treatment process. Call us today with any concerns you may have!